August 29 – LRT Sub-Committee Next Stop Blog
On August 29, the Light Rail Sub-Committee received a detailed presentation on the progress of the south, east, and west O-Train Extensions.
O-Train South Progress
In the south, work is progressing well at the Albion Yard Maintenance and Storage Facility (MSF) and on multiple rail bridges and guideway sections.
Final touches are being made at stations with wayfinding signage, and fare gates being installed at most stations. Track installation is close to completion and testing and commissioning has commenced.
Here are milestones to watch leading up to the opening of the O-Train South Extension:
- Fall 2023: Vehicle testing and commissioning on entire line
- Fall 2023: Station occupancy and readiness for customers
- Late fall 2023: Trial running and substantial completion
- Late fall 2023: Operational readiness activities
O-Train East Progress
In the east, work is ongoing on the stations, track, and other systems. Significant progress continues to be made in the stations and on the Place d’Orléans and Trim pedestrian bridges. Later this year, vehicle testing in the east is anticipated to begin.
Here are milestones coming up on the O-Train East Extension:
- Through 2023: Progress on all five stations
- Fall 2023: Completion of rail installation
- Late fall 2023: Completion of Overhead Catenary System (OCS) installation
- Late fall 2023: Vehicle testing
O-Train West Progress
In the west, all stations are under construction and progress continues at the Corkstown Light Maintenance and Storage Facility (LMSF). In late July, the Queensview Pedestrian Bridge structure was successfully installed over Highway 417. Tunnel construction continues in Byron Linear Park and Connaught Park with concrete being poured to form the tunnel structure.
Here are milestones coming up on the O-Train West Extension:
- Through 2023: Construction and backfilling of tunnels will continue
- Through 2023: Rail installation continues
- Late fall: OCS pole installation will begin
The next update to the Light Rail Transit Sub-Committee will be in September.