Close Close
Close Close
Skip to content

Service animals

Welcome aboard!

Service animals used by persons with disabilities are welcome on board all OC Transpo vehicles. To identify your service animal:

  • Use a vest, harness or other visual indicator that clearly identifies your animal as a service animal
  • Show the operator an Attorney-General of Ontario guide dog photo ID card
  • Show the operator an OC Transpo Service Animal Card

Riding with a service animal

It is the handlers' responsibility to ensure that their service animals are kept under their supervision and control, and do not block the vehicle's aisle.

Small service animals must be contained in a cage or pouch, or kept on a short leash or harness on their handler's lap.

Larger service animals must be on a leash or harness.

  • When possible, large service animals should be placed on the floor between the customers knees sitting up so that the service animal is supported by the person’s legs providing greater stability while the transit vehicle is in motion;
  • When possible, customers who are able, should adjust or fold their foot rests while on the bus and have their service animal sit in front of the assistive device, instead on lying down on the floor;
  • If a customer is unable to adjust their foot rests, they should have the service animal seated on the side of the assistive device nearest the aisle, as close as possible to the customer and if necessary, have the service animal temporarily seated in front of them while other customers are loading.

Service animals on Para Transpo

To use Para Transpo with a service animal, please contact our Accessibility Specialists who will update your customer file.

Free Service Animal card

This free card may make it easier for you to use transit with a service animal. To get your card, contact our Accessibility Specialists. The card features your photo as well as the photo of your service animal. If your animal changes, you need to get a new one. Please show your card to the operator as you board the bus. Your card will expire five years after it is issued.

Documentation to register your service animal or to get your Service Animal Card

If you would like to get a Service Animal Card or register your animal on Para Transpo, please provide a letter or document that:

  • Confirms you require a service animal for reasons related to a disability
  • Is signed by a regulated health professional

Regulated health professionals

We accept documentation from all the regulated health care professionals listed below who are registered (licensed) to practise in Ontario:

  • Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists
  • Chiropractors
  • Nurses
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Optometrists
  • Physicians and Surgeons
  • Physiotherapists
  • Psychologists
  • Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists

Please bring photo ID with you. Please retain your documentation in case you lose your card.

For more information on travelling with your service animal, please contact us.