OC Transpo will accommodate customers who need the help of a support person to use transit.
Support persons can ride with you free of charge, however, you may need to present an a-card to the operator when you board. You will also need to tap this card to get through the fare gates at O-Train stations.
a-cards have a photo of the customer, not the support person. This allows you to bring different support persons with you at different times and on different trips.
Getting your a-card
To get your a-card, follow these steps:
- Bring photo ID and your documentation indicating that you require a support person from an authorized health care professional to the Rideau Centre OC Customer Service Centre.
- Staff will take your photo and give you your a-card at no charge
- Please keep your documentation in case you lose or damage your card.
Authorized health care representatives:
- Physician / Surgeon
- Nurse Practitioner
- Ophthalmologist / Optometrist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Language Pathologist / Audiologist
- Social Worker
- Registered Nurse
- Mental Health Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Certified Orientation / Mobility Instructor