How will I get through the gate?
Tap a smartcard or scan a ticket
- Presto, U-Pass & Multi (STO) smartcards
- OC Transpo bus transfer or DayPass
- Single-ride tickets from the ticket machine
The new fare gates at O-Train stations will require use of a Presto card, U-Pass, STO Multi card, or OC Transpo bus transfer. Paper monthly passes and paper bus tickets will not be accepted.
As you enter an O-Train station, you will find a row of fare gates. Any gate can be used to enter the station.
An accessible (wide) fare gate will be available for customers using an assistive mobility device, stroller, luggage or bicycle, or who require more time to get through. This gate is wider and has an additional card reader at an accessible height.
Row of fare gates
How to use a fare gate
To open the fare gate, simply tap your valid smartcard or scan your bus transfer on the card reader located on the right-hand side of each fare gate:
Where to present your fare
Placement of readers
Readers are located on the right-hand side of each fare gate.
There is no need to tap when you exit the station, just walk through the gate and the barrier will open automatically.
Free Wednesdays for seniors
Transit is free on Wednesdays for seniors 65+ — but if you're using a fare gate, you will need to use a Presto card set with the senior discount.
Buy your card for $6.00, plus a minimum e-Purse load of $10.00 or a monthly pass:
Online at prestocard.ca or by phone at 1‑8‑PRESTO‑123 (1‑877‑378‑6123)
- It can take up to 7 days for your card to ship
- In person at an OC Transpo Customer Service Centre, or at one these select ServiceOttawa Client Service Centre locations: City Hall, Kanata or Ben Franklin
- At one of the ticket machines found at all O-Train stations
- Online at prestocard.ca or by phone at 1‑8‑PRESTO‑123 (1‑877‑378‑6123)
Set the Senior discount on your card:
- Bring your Presto card to a Customer Service Centre along with a piece of identification, such as a driver’s licence, Ontario Photo Card or other signed ID with your address on it, as well as an official document with your date of birth on it as proof of age
If you tap your card on a Wednesday after you have activated your discount, no fare will be deducted and the gates will open to let you through.
Free fares for children aged 5 and under
Transit is free for young children aged 5 and under.
STO Multi card
STO customers can continue to use their STO Multi card to connect to OC Transpo buses and trains. The fare gates at O-Train stations, like Presto readers on board buses, will read and recognize the STO Multi smartcard. Like today, the readers will not be able to accept e-wallet payments from Multi cards, but will continue to accept transit passes and valid transfers.
Modern accessible fare gates and ticket machines are coming to the O-Train Trillium Line at Greenboro, Confederation, Carleton, and Carling Stations in the summer of 2017.
This is the same fare equipment that customers will use on the O-Train Confederation Line in 2018.
New fare gate enclosure at Greenboro Station