Tracking Progress: Stage 2 East Extension East meets O-Train Line 1
Construction at Blair Station to connect O-Train Line 1 to Stage 2 East Extension, early October 2022.
Over the weekend, O-Train Line 1 was officially introduced to its east extension. Stage 2 crews successfully connected the rail of O-Train Line 1 with the O-Train East Extension near Blair Station.
East end customers in Beacon Hill, Blackburn Hamlet, and Orléans are one step closer to seeing trains being tested in their community.
What is the O-Train East Extension?
The O-Train East Extension is one of three projects currently underway.
Here is what you need to know about the O-Train East Extension:
- O-Train Line 1 currently ends at Blair Station.
- It is being extended twelve kilometres east of Blair Station to Trim Road.
- Five new stations will be built at Montréal Road, Jeanne d’Arc Boulevard, Convent Glen (Orléans Boulevard), Place d’Orléans, and Trim Road.
- Three new pedestrian bridges will be added at Green’s Creek, Place d’Orléans, and Trim Road.
- By 2025, 95% of east end residents will be within five kilometres of an O-Train station.
- Track installation began earlier this year and is almost 55% complete.
What can you expect next for the Stage 2 East Extension?
Track installation will continue into next year. Once the rail is complete, electrical components, such as overhead wires, signalling, and communications equipment, will be installed. OC Transpo anticipates that train testing may begin in 2023.
How can I stay up to date on progress?
Crews are working around the clock to bring the benefits of light rail farther south, east, and west.