Close Close
Close Close
Skip to content

Virtual Museum Colourizing the past

Download one of our historic photos and add some colour to Ottawa’s transit past. When your creation is completed, submit your colourized photo and we'll share some of our favourites.

Britannia Park

First opening in 1900, Britannia Beach was a popular summer destination for Ottawa residents through the 1920s to today.

Photo: Britannia Park streetcar stop canopy and emergency steel stairway c. 1920. City of Ottawa Archives/RG045

  • Colourized by OC Transpo

    Colourized by OC Transpo

Submit photo

Sparks Street

Before the first streetcar, riders travelled by horse-drawn carriage through muddy streets flanked by boardwalks.

Photo: Ottawa City Passenger Railway Company horse-drawn streetcar on Sparks St. c. 1871. City of Ottawa Archives/CA001505

  • Colourized by OC Transpo

    Colourized by OC Transpo

Submit photo

Team effort

Workers of the Ottawa Car Company celebrate the completion of the streetcar “Lalla Rookh” for the Toronto & Scarboro Railway Co. with a commemorative photo.

Photo: W.W. Wylie and Ottawa Car Company workers in front of streetcar “Lalla Rookh” on Slater St. c. 1893. City of Ottawa Archives/CA001508

  • Colourized by OC Transpo

    Colourized by OC Transpo

Submit photo

Back to Ottawa

On fine Sundays in July and August, double-truck streetcar no. 313 helped carry upwards of 25,000 passengers between Ottawa and Britannia Beach.

Photo: Streetcar no. 313 and a crowd of visitors leaving Britannia Park on a Sunday afternoon c. 1905. City of Ottawa Archives/CA018258

  • Colourized by OC Transpo

    Colourized by OC Transpo

Submit photo

Confederation Square

Traffic bustled through downtown as commuters shopped and headed home after work.

Streetcars on Wellington Street near Sussex Street c. 1948. City of Ottawa Archives/CA002987

  • Colourized by OC Transpo

    Colourized by OC Transpo

Submit photo

In the garage

Mechanics work together tightening wheel nuts and testing the motor as they get an Ottawa Electric Rail Company bus ready for service.

Photo: Ray Wagorn and Willim Hume at Albert St. Garage c. 1947. Photo by Bill & Jean Newton

  • Colourized by OC Transpo

    Colourized by OC Transpo

Submit photo